Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Palak Paneer with a (Tomato)Twist

                                I would like to add a disclaimer first. I don't like palak paneer. I never cook or order palak paneer anywhere I go. The lovely green colour of the curry doesn't seem to tickle my senses, and hence, it is a big no-no. Recently, I had been to my native home where my Papa cooked this particular dish for me. Before he started cooking this, I clearly told him that I don't like palak paneer, and he is welcome to eat the entire curry and he should not look for my involvement during eating this. He paid no heed to me and went ahead with his endeavour. I didn't enter the kitchen during cooking or after that as well. 
                             At dinnertime, I straight refused to eat at all, knowing the menu. Papa tried to lure me to the dinner table as he used to do when I was a kid. Slightly softened, I threw a casual look at the curry and was surprised. It definitely wasn't the typical green curry and I could see a few potatoes peeking from within as well. Slowly, I came to the table, still skeptical about the taste. He lovingly convinced me to try one roti. I yielded. The taste is quite creamy as well tangy, and the paneer tasted great. I happily ate around 4-5 rotis. :)
                             After coming back to Bangalore, I decided to give it a try and called Papa for the recipe. He told he has forgot and just gave me some tidbits of the recipe. I added it up in my mind and here it is... Ready for YOU !!!

Ingredients:

Paneer- 200 gm
Palak(Spinach) - 2-3 handfuls
Potatoes - 1 large or 2 medium
Onions- 2 medium
Garlic- 7-8 cloves
Tomatoes- 2 medium
Curry powder- 2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Oil- As required
Salt - As required

Lighting the Stove:


Defrost the paneer(in case you are using Amul Paneer like me) otherwise if you are lucky enough to have fresh paneer, just thank your stars, and chop them into cubes.

Boil the palak leaves for 2-3 minutes and chop them .

Chop the potatoes into cubes and fry them with salt and oil till they are boiled.

Heat oil in a kardhai and throw the zeera into it and then the chopped or minced garlic. Fry for 10 seconds.

Add the onions and fry them till golden brown.

Add the curry powder, turmeric powder and chilli powder and mix well. 

Now, put in the chopped tomatoes and fry till they turn mushy and start leaving oil.

Now, add the paneer, fried potatoes, and chopped palak, and mix well for 1-2 minutes.

Add 1.5 cups of water and cook on high heat until you achieve desired consistency.

Serve with roti or paratha. 

People who hate palak paneer would love it like I did.



No comments:

Post a Comment